Thank You Prayer
We received a thank you message from a prayer warrior about 2 months ago. In that message they asked if we would kindly produce prayer points for thanksgiving and worship. This is us following through on the promise to do just that.
Scripture is filled with triumphs and trials that usually accompany them. It is filled with sorrow and rejoicing. I have always contended that “gratitude is the purest form of prayer”.
Thanksgiving is unarguably the sincerest form of prayer. TD Jakes differentiated praise and worship as follow. “Everyone can praise, yet God seeketh those that ‘worship’ in spirit and truth.” He goes on to explain that praise thanks God for what he has done, worship appreciates him for who he is.
The grave cannot praise him! Praise focuses on, I thank you for giving me such and such. The worshippers worship God for being God, regardless of situation, regardless of his hand being evident or not.
Casting Crowns perfectly describe this in “Praise You in the Storm.” In those moments when you were sure God would have lifted you out of a situation, yet you find yourself still in that situation. That is where praise is birthed! That is where true worship is refined. Knowing that God is who he is no matter where you are!
At the core of it, prayer is communication. The last thing that anyone should do, is learn what to say. We are not to simply recite words. This is where we become prayerless in our prayers. Finding ourselves going through the motions, but not truly reaching out to God. The bible says he seeks those that worship in SPIRIT and in TRUTH. There is neither spirit nor truth and reciting words from memory, without a heart to back it up.
Worship is about bridging your words and your heart. It is about binding your words to your heart. God knows and looks at hearts and not actions that are done for the sake of acting.
Prayer points for thanksgiving and worship
A key element of prayer is being more deliberate about it. Plan it out.
Consider and jot down the things that you are grateful for. When you raise a thanksgiving prayer for something that you are truly grateful for, your prayer a pleasant aroma to heaven.
Think about people that you are grateful for.
Consider things that you have lost that mean a lot to you, and evaluate what you have now.
Think about the things that you are thankful for and begin to raise you voice to heaven in gratitude to the Lord for those things. The heart of a worshipper understands that worship is as much to God as it is therapeutic to the worshipper. It is an audible reminder of who God is, at a time when you desperately need to hear it.
Lord I am broke, but you are still my provider. I am unwell, yet you remain the mighty healer! If you never do anything again, you are still a miracle working God! God, you are not defined by what my eyes see of you, or what my ears hear of you. You are God, all by yourself.
Lord I thank you for:
Consider life in all its facets. To be able to breathe, to see, to be seen, to hear and be heard. God has us covered. Not a feather will fall off a sparrow without him noticing. He knows you. He see all that is going on around you and is in control.
With the levels that are rife in most parts of the world, we ought to be grateful for every meal that we get.
For a place to call home, a place to lay our head, gratitude is owed.
They may not be perfect, but they are our to keep. The one gift God gave us without a choice. Thank you Lord for whatever reason you had for that. You don’t owe me an explanation, I trust in you.
Father you ways are higher than ours. We are grateful for your sovereignty, in times of plenty, as in times of surplus, in life as in death.
Lord we are grateful for directing us at all turns. We don’t always listen, yet you always speak.
For the greatest of all gifts. Sending your son to perish for what we ought to have perished for. Thank you for saving us.
Thanksgiving prayer points
15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
- Lord we bless your name for being a worth, empathetic high priest.
- We thank you for allowing your son to be tempted as we are.
- Grant me grace to approach your throne with confidence.
- Thank you for mercy and grace in our time of need.
Jonah 2:9 King James Version (KJV)
9 But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the Lord.
Worship is sacrificial at the core. It is not easy to call him a healer when you have watched a loved one die while believing for healing all the while. That is worship. Accepting God’s sovereignty when you don’t understand it.
- Lord we raise a voice of worship as a sacrifice to you.
- You are God in our ups as you are God in our downs.
- We thank you for being God and working for our good even when we neither see nor understand what you are doing.
- We trust in you and all you do.
- Salvation is yours!
Psalm 28:7 King James Version (KJV)
7 The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
- Mighty one of Israel. King of kings! Lord of Lord! Creator of heaven and earth! Alpha and Omega! You are my strength, and my shield!
- My heart trusts in you, and you are my help!
- You cause my heart to rejoice.
- I will praise you in song! In dance! You are my bridge over troubled waters.
Colossians 4:2 King James Version (KJV)
2 Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;
- Father, you enable us to be prayerful. Thank you
- We continue to pray, watch and are grateful.
- You have been faithful.
Prayer to thank God
1 Chronicles 29:13 New International Version (NIV)
13 Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name.
- Lord your name is glorious. Your name is wonderful. Giver of every perfect gift. All glory is yours.
- We bless your name for such a rich heritage.
- At the sound of your name demons rout! Every knee bows! We worship you.
- The only name we call in times of need! You answer.
- You are God who comes into the fire with us.
Daniel 2:23 King James Version (KJV)
23 I thank thee, and praise thee, O thou God of my fathers, who hast given me wisdom and might, and hast made known unto me now what we desired of thee: for thou hast now made known unto us the king’s matter.
- Lord you are the same. Ancient of day, yet your mercy is new every morning!
- You are consistent, true and tried!
- As you have done for those before us, you have done in our time and will continue to do wonderful things in generations to come.
- We thank you for wisdom and might. You strengthen mind and body.
- You reveal what we ask of your to reveal.
Psalm 23 King James Version (KJV)
23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
- In times of lack this is a promise I will hold on to. You Lord are my shepherd. I shall not want.
- You give me rest eternally.
- My soul is replenished, watered forever more.
- Thank you for restoring my soul! Even when I don’t realise it needs restoration.
- I will walk in righteousness, for your name’s sake! That they may know you oh Lord!
- No matter what darkness befalls me, I will not walk or live in fear. You make me brave!
- Father I thank you for your constant presence.
- Your disciplining and comforting love leads me.
- Lord I thank you that you are no respecter of man. What you say is mine, is mine no matter who likes it or doesn’t like it!
- Thank you for the blessing of a fresh anointing! A surplus anointing.
- I am blessed because I give, I give because I am blessed.
- My presence will never leave me!
- Goodness and mercy are my heritage eternally. In Jesus’ name! Amen.
Hebrews 13:14-16 King James Version (KJV)
14 For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come.
15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.
16 But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.
- Lord we thank you for the hope of what is to come, in a world that is ridden with pain and sorrow.
- May my words and actions be worthy praise to your ears, oh Lord.
- Grant me grace to continue to do good.
James 1:2-4 King James Version (KJV)
2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
- Lord I bless your name for every temptation that I have ever faced, and those to come.
- Thank you for never allowing me to be tempted past what I can endure.
- That you, Lord, for being my strength.
- My patience grows as my faith is tried. Teach me to see the bigger picture, and to trust you when I don’t see it.
- Patience will perfect her work in me! I will be perfect and entire in Christ, wanting nothing.
James 1:14-17 King James Version (KJV)
14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.
17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
- Father we thank you for delighting in giving good gifts to your children.
- We glorify you, father of lights, for every perfect gift comes from you.
- Thank you for saving us from sin, for continually pursuing us when we stray.
Prayer of praise
Jeremiah 33:11 King James Version (KJV)
11 The voice of joy, and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom, and the voice of the bride, the voice of them that shall say, Praise the Lord of hosts: for the Lord is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: and of them that shall bring the sacrifice of praise into the house of the Lord. For I will cause to return the captivity of the land, as at the first, saith the Lord.
- Lord you are good! I know your goodness! I testify of your goodness. I will see your goodness in the land of the living.
- All praise be to you, Lord of hosts. Your mercy endures forever more!
- As I bring your sacrifice of praise, your restore me of all that is lost.
Psalm 7:17 King James Version (KJV)
17 I will praise the Lord according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the Lord most high.
- Father you never have to perform. I praise you for who you are.
- Your righteousness precedes.
- Your mercy has carried me thus far.
- I will sing your name, most high God!!
Psalm 9:1 King James Version (KJV)
9 I will praise thee, O Lord, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works.
- Lord, rather be heart without words than words without heart.
- I praise you with all that I am.
- All who know me will know of your marvellous work.
Psalm 50:23 King James Version (KJV)
23 Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God.
- With my praise, I glorify your name.
- Father give me a heart of praise. Make me a true worshipper; after your heart.
Psalm 69:30 King James Version (KJV)
30 I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving.
- You give me a new song.
- I will praise you in song.
- I will magnify your name with thanksgiving.
Psalm 95:1-3 King James Version (KJV)
95 O come, let us sing unto the Lord: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.
2 Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms.
3 For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods.
- You cause me to celebrate. You delivery good news to me.
- I will raise my voice unto you, rock of my salvation. Without you I am not.
- I enter your presence with thanksgiving, for gifts big and small.
- You are Lord of lords! In heaven, on earth and beyond; there is none like you.
Psalm 100 King James Version (KJV)
100 Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
2 Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
3 Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
5 For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.
Psalm 103:1-5 King James Version (KJV)
103 Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
2 Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
4 Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
Psalm 107:1 King James Version (KJV)
107 O give thanks unto the Lord, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
Psalm 116:17 King James Version (KJV)
17 I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the Lord.
Psalm 118:28-29 King James Version (KJV)
28 Thou art my God, and I will praise thee: thou art my God, I will exalt thee.
29 O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
Psalm 136:1-3 King James Version (KJV)
136 O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
2 O give thanks unto the God of gods: for his mercy endureth for ever.
3 O give thanks to the Lord of lords: for his mercy endureth for ever.
Lamentations 3:22-24 King James Version (KJV)
22 It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
23 They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
24 The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.
Luke 17:11-18 King James Version (KJV)
11 And it came to pass, as he went to Jerusalem, that he passed through the midst of Samaria and Galilee.
12 And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off:
13 And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.
14 And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed.
15 And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God,
16 And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan.
17 And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?
18 There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger.
2 Corinthians 9:10-15 King James Version (KJV)
10 Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)
11 Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.
12 For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;
13 Whiles by the experiment of this ministration they glorify God for your professed subjection unto the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal distribution unto them, and unto all men;
14 And by their prayer for you, which long after you for the exceeding grace of God in you.
15 Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Colossians 3:15-17 King James Version (KJV)
15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him
Ephesians 1:15-16 King James Version (KJV)
15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
Ephesians 5:15-21 King James Version (KJV)
15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
1 Thessalonians 5:15-18 King James Version (KJV)
15 See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.
16 Rejoice evermore.
17 Pray without ceasing.
18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
1 Timothy 2:1-4 King James Version (KJV)
2 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
Hebrews 12:26-29 King James Version (KJV)
26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.
27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.
28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
29 For our God is a consuming fire.
Revelation 7:12 King James Version (KJV)
12 Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.
Revelation 11:17 King James Version (KJV)
17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.
Thanksgiving Dinner Prayer
While we are at it, why not give you a hand with that massive thanksgiving dinner prayer! We have included some printable versions that can be printed and shared with your guests.
1 Corinthians 15:57 King James Version (KJV)
57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
2 Corinthians 2:14-16 King James Version (KJV)
14 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.
15 For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:
16 To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?
Philippians 4:12-13 King James Version (KJV)
12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Philippians 4:6 King James Version (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
Colossians 2:7 King James Version (KJV)
7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.